Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Happy Valentines Day!
As we celebrate this Valentines day  I can't help but remember decorating Valentine boxes in elementary school to be filled with cards from classmates. With these boxes came lots of cards and so much candy. This brings me to a little fun fact on one of my favorites:  SWEETHEARTS


Who doesn’t have fond memories of these  little candy conversation hearts full of sugar?
Did you know  they actually have a shelf life of five whole years? Each year, consumers purchase up to 14 million pounds of Sweethearts, which equates to almost 6.7 billion individual hearts. That's A LOT of sweethearts!
The Sweetheart manufacturers also pride themselves in keeping up with the latest love lingo. Amazingly they continue to introduce  about 10 new sayings each year to stay current with the market.
In addition to loving all of the sugar in these sweethearts I also love all of their COLORS, 
which brings me to the subject of February's newsletter. "When color Clicks"
Enjoy!

When color clicks
 
Have you ever put colors together and they just did not seem to work even though you initially thought they would. There is a big reason as to WHY and that is explained through color theory. I am not going to go into a lot of detail into color theory because that is a very detailed topic that I continue to study and learn from. I will however give you an example that I hope will help you to understand how and why colors click. 
 
Analagous colors on a color wheel are three colors that are next to each other. When these colors are used together they match well and create a serene and comfortable feeling, for example the blues and green pictured below.


 
When you add the color directly across the color wheel you are using  a split complementary which give you a POP of color.
If you were to add orange to the blues/green you would have a beautiful palette to work from.

A note of caution:
Using all of these colors in equal amounts simply creates chaos so choose one color to dominate and a second to support it. The third color is used (along with black, white or gray) as an accent color or pop.
This same theory applied to interiors is how beautiful rooms are created.
As I was painting an abstract using analogues colors and adding the split complementary as my accent, my colors clicked. Once I got my colors and their values right, the painting all came together.






By Yours Truly
http://rosadestinteriors.com

Remember, colors don't just work together because they do, there is a lot of thought that goes into it.
Let me know if you need help with your colors.

TWEET ME, TEXT ME, FOLLOW ME
OR
SHARE THIS
IF YOU LIKED THIS NEWSLETTER

No comments:

Post a Comment