It's Pi Day! March 14---3.14---the first 3 digits of the mathematical constant 𝞹. So, let's celebrate Pi Day and eat lots of pie!
In honor of National Pi Day I want to share with you an awesome recipe for one of my favorite pies...
KEY LIME PI(E)
For the Lime Filling:
4 teaspoons of grated lime zest
4 egg yolks
1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
1 cup of graham crackers (about 9 crushed crackers)
2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
5 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
1 1/2 cups of chilled heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Whisk the lime zest and egg yolks together in a medium bowl. Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk and then the lime juice. Set aside to thicken.
3. In another bowl, stir together to graham cracker crumbs and granulated sugar. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter. Transfer crust mixture to a 9-inch pie plate and press the crumbs evenly. Bake for 15 minutes or until beginning to brown. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
4. Once the crust has cooled, pour the lime filling into the crust. Bake for 15-17 minutes until the center is set. Refrigerate at least three hours.
5. Using an electric mixer, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the chilled pie. Garnish with limes and serve.